Thursday, May 19, 2005

10 reasons why I'm officially broke

Summer splurging.
(Not really reviews. Mga hirit-hirit ko lang about my recent music purchases.)

- - - - -

Narda's Formika - nice. My first time to listen to this band. Kahilo lang basahin yung inlay hehe.

Orange and Lemons' Strike Whilst the Iron Is Hot - ang gandaaa! I'm really loving these guys. And they're all over the record stores (posters and stuff!). Great thing Universal Records signed them. Way to go OnL!

Hale's Hale - another good buy. Dati ko pa inaabangan 'to. Didn't disappoint me, but of course there's a lot of room for improvement. I just don't like their latest video...

Saydie's Saydie - nadale na naman ako ng "dark and mysterious", same as when I bought The Late Isabel's Doll's Head. Somehow, di ko sila nagustuhan. Maybe a couple more spins...

Session Road's Suntok Sa Buwan - matagal na 'to pero ngayon ko lang nabili. I definitely like the released singles. Haven't given much thought yet though to the unreleased tracks. Kelangan ko pa ulit pakinggan.

Romancing Venus - poetry set to music. Really sorry but I forgot who the poet was (CD's upstairs, tinatamad akong silipin hehe). Ok pakinggan when you're just lying in your room and doing nothing else. Just relish the words and the music.

Wolfmann's Breaking the Beat Project - the first album. Astig! I'm just a casual electronica fan, but Wolfmann's music (along w/ other great lokal electronica acts - Squid9, Morse, Drip) helps me appreciate this genre more than I normally would. (Di 'to kasama sa 10 reasons kasi libre lang 'to ni Wolf mismo hehehe)

Drip's Far Side of the World - was looking for this sa OPM section ng Tower. Couldn't find it so I asked a Tower person. Buti tinanong ko, nasa electronica pala. Liked what I heard, but realized also that Beng tends to have a limited vocal style. Nevertheless, maganda siya. Yung album, I mean. At si Beng narin, hehehe.

Jojo's Jojo - hahaha, my guilty pleasure *sheepish grin* Siya pala nagremake ng "Weak" by SWV. Not much different from the original, but then classic yang Weak na yan so mas gusto ko parin yung SWV version. This gal's really talented and really pretty. Not to mention really young too.

Bridge's Love from Lust (the Album) - Haven't gotten around to listening to this one, hehehe. Medyo andami kasi niyang kasabay na nagdrain sa wallet ko =P Lapit nang masalang sa Discman ko 'to. Based on the EP of the same title, though, I'd say this'll be more great stuff from Bridge.

And my current favorite new album:

Pedicab's Tugish Takish - I haven't watched these guys yet, and I've only heard "Dizzy Boy" on NU in a half-asleep state, so my true first experience of this band was the CD. Treasure hunt ang paghanap sa album na 'to. Tagal na kasing sinabing released na siya (last week pa ata), and a lot of listers were hounding Tower/M1 for this. Unfortunately, Tower/M1 is, like, so slow. Malas nalang nila, the first purchases of this awesome album were made at Odyssey, starting Monday (05/16/05) ata. You folks better grab this CD, astig siya sobra! (May videos pang kasama, though I haven't seen them yet hehe)

- - - - -

There. I am now officially broke. Ayuz.


P.S. On Tower Records' Top 25:
#12 - OnL's Strike Whilst the Iron is Hot
#11 - Imago's Take Two
#2 - Hale's Hale =)

5 comments:

JAm said...

great cds dacs! wish i have the dougto splurge on some... but once i get some mulah i'd probably buy me that drip and pedicab cds... astig yung vid ng pedicab.Ü

\m/ mabuhay ang tugtugang pilipino! \m/

- d a c s - said...

Hehehe, yeah, you go get those CDs! sulit ;)

Oh, btw, just heard from Manong Vin Dancel that a lot of indie artists are getting signed! Truly the lokal music scene is healthy as ever kasi napapansin na ulit sila ng majors :)

Anonymous said...

nakikinig ako ngayon sa album ng HALE.. galing.. lalo na nung nalaman ko na OPM sila..

i agree the local music scene is healthy as ever.. go pinoy! -- shmuck

[ r ] a k t i v i s t said...

nice cds u got there.. do u happen to rip them and save them as mp3z in ur pc? if so.. do u share? i ahve vast collections of mp3 albums .. mostly indies - http://www.cd-tracker.com/~aktivist

check it awt. if u like something.. ill send po! i like the way u review ur bands and music! :)

keep rockin! more power to yah!

- d a c s - said...

Wow raktivist, ganda ng list of MP3's mo ah! I kinda skimmed it a bit and the Eheads' Please Transpos caught my eye hehe.

Sadly, I don't have harddisk space nor an MP3 player to give me reason to rip my CDs hehehe =P Mga MP3 lang na laman ng PC ko yung mga download ko from Soundclick.com, among others.